[obol] Coos 'N Curry of Late

  • From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2015 18:15:47 -0700

Terry Wahl reports a LOGGERHEAD SHRIKE on the family ranch near Cape
Blanco, Curry on the 5th. He also said that the Elk River N. MOCKER is
still around as is the overwintering MOCKER in Langlois, Curry.

I went up to Eden Valley/Mt. Bolivar in far SE Coos late yesterday. Got
hailed on as I sent my tent up around sunset. Best bird yesterday was a
GRAY JAY seen sitting on top of a hemlock in a plantation in Eden Valley.
In the 20+ years I have birded that area, this is only my second- they are
very rare in southern Coos and Curry Counties. I also saw an entirely
green-backed Selasphorus Hummer at the Powers Ranger Station- I suspect
Allen's but we do have hybrids. In my experience green-backed Selasphorus
are the common breeding species from Coquille to Myrtle Point to Powers. I
suspect some Rufous breed also, what a mess.

No hummers at all up high in Eden Valley. No Townsend's Solitaires yet
either. Not much to report except lots of Orange-crowneds up high.

In Powers I saw and heard my first CASSIN'S VIREO. Lots of BT Grays
singing too. One singing Wilson's. A few Townsend's too. Best birds were
a pair of GOLDEN EAGLES near Powers circling together over the highway, one
subadult and one adult.

There was a little snow up on Mt. Bolivar, mostly above about 3,500', but I
was unable to hike up due to a bum knee. Very pretty area though, I love
going up there. Fawn lilies in bloom as well as a few other early spring
beauties. Cold though, down to 30F last night and very cool this morning.

Merry migration!
Tim R
Coos Bay