[obol] Cooper Mountain, Flood of warblers

  • From: Steve Nord <stevernord@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2015 11:54:41 -0700

OBOL;

This morning it was like a dam burst with hundreds of Yellow-rumped
Warblers on the move through Cooper Mountain Park in Beaverton. They were
literally dropping out of the sky at dawn, filling the trees. I knew it
was going to be interesting when I saw a "flock" of 54 Yellow-rumps land
into one maple. I walked about 3 miles of trails and my final tally after
3 hours:

247 Yellow-rumped Warbler (most couldn't be assign to race as they were on
the move)
plus 82 "Audubon's" Warbler
plus 23 "Myrtle Warbler
totalling 352
The counting was somewhat easy as they all flowed by in one direction.
They flight still on going when I left at 9:35, although at a lesser pace,
so this count is far below actual populations.

Additionally had:
46 Orange-crowned Warbler
4 Wilson's Warbler (FOY)
13 Black-throated Gray Warbler
5 Townsend's Warbler
4 Hermit Thrush (together)
1 Warbling Vireo (FOY)

The migrating flocks did not go unnoticed by raptors. I saw both an adult
COOPER'S HAWK and an adult SHARP-SHINNED HAWK, both of which, carrying a
Yellow-rumped Warbler in their talons.

Good Birding
Steve Nord
Beaverton. OR