[obol] Calliope - Eugene

  • From: "L Markoff" <canyoneagle@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2015 11:24:50 -0700

Hello Obol,

Yesterday after driving to/fro Beaverton I was sitting here relaxing by
watching the Rufous hummers at the feeder. (FOS male Rufous 3/11, FOS
female Rufous 3/12) I saw the male Rufous several times and both of the
female hums too. One time both females were on the feeder at the same time,
pretty neat!

Then another hum flew in and I said to myself, "What a minute...Calliope!"
I had been hoping for a Calliope to show up this year since I had a brief,
one-time visit by a male Calliope on 4/28/14. Yesterday's sighting was 12
days earlier, and this time instead of one brief look, this bird stayed put
and took a long drink. Then he came back several more times until dark. At
one point he joined a female Rufous at the feeder and she promptly bounced
him off. But best of all, he was still here this morning when he took a
long drink, sat and preened, took another long drink and then zipped off. I
haven't seen him since so perhaps he is on his way to his breeding grounds.
But I am pleased that he stayed with me as long as he did. For a few photos
and a video, go here:

https://www.flickr.com/gp/canyoneagle/oY25a6/

Lori Markoff

Eugene