[oakleafsunjgroup] Remember to let God do it.

  • From: Sassy <sassyuga@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Group <oakleafsunjgroup@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2011 07:36:10 -0500

I loved this today.  Hope you do too.
I really need to remember. Let God turn the pages of my life.

November 9, 2011
“ A man’s steps are directed by the Lord. . . . ”
Proverbs 20:24 (NIV)

“ A man’s steps are directed by the Lord. . . . ”
Proverbs 20:24 (NIV)
One of the things I love best about being a grandmother is reading books to my
grandchildren.

Isabelle Grace is still in the board-book stage. These sturdy books are short
and simple, with thick pages perfect for little fingers. Sometimes I read
Isabelle longer books with more text and detailed pictures. Usually there are
too many words for her liking, and she turns the page before I’m ready.
Occasionally, though, a picture intrigues her and she stares at it long after
I’ve finished reading. But one thing is certain: Isabelle is in charge of
turning pages. If I forget and flip forward, she emits a squeal, as only a
two-year-old can: “Isbee do! Isbee do!

A few days ago, after Isabelle had gone home, I held the book we’ve been
reading and thought about how much Isabelle enjoys being the one to set the
pace, the one to say when it’s time to move forward in the story, the one who
determines when a new scene comes into play.

Often I behave like Isabelle, wanting to set the pace for my life. I complain
that good times go by too fast. I question why the hard times linger. I want
the sunshine-filled pages to stay open forever and those fearsome storm-filled
ones to whiz by in a blink. Of course, I’m not the One turning the pages.

I’m old enough to know that grief and illness, disappointment and rejection
have their merits. I learn more in shadow than in sun. Still, it’s a challenge
to surrender control and embrace the pace set by the Author of our lives and
cheerfully let Him turn the pages.

I’ll keep my hands off, Lord, and let You take charge of my life—page after
page after page.

By Mary Lou Carney