Re: [nvda-translations] Symbols: does NVDA differentiate between periods in end of sentences and periods in the middle of text such as web addresses?

  • From: Him Prasad Gautam <drishtibachak@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nvda-translations <nvda-translations@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2012 22:35:58 +0545

On 8/18/12, Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
> Does NVDA differentiate between period in ends of sentences and periods
> between texts such as web addresses? Like English, some languages
> differentiate between these two. Thanks.
> //Joseph

In process of preparation of Espeak voice in Nepali and in NVDA
translation, I felt a hurdles of defining the character . Since the
character ' . ' is used for 4 purposes in English.
1. As a decimal
2. As a sentence delimitor (Full stop)
3. As an abbriviation indicator
4. Now in between web address too
However in my language, it is only abbriviation and decimal indicator.
I think that NVDA must define characteristics of  symbols rather than
a particular symbols (character). The locale  TTS also governs the
correct pronounciations of such ' symbols.

Him Prasad Gautam
Kathmandu, Nepal