[nvda-addons] Re: ocr addon: can it scan the webpage

  • From: "Stefan Moisei" <vor_tex123@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <nvda-addons@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2014 14:52:11 +0300

Technically, yes. You could use another OCR engine, or even improve the Tesseract engine already present in the addon. The thing is noncommercial OCR engines aren't very good, and improving tesseract is a hard task. For captchas, things are even harder, as they are built speciffically not to be solvable by a computer. Well, a computer makes them, so theoretically it should be possible, but hard. An easy thing to do would be to integrate webvisum into NVDA, providing the WebVisum guys would agree. Last time I wanted to make a Chrome WebVisum extension, I got no reply from them.

-----Original Message----- From: Sean Terry
Sent: Sunday, June 22, 2014 5:00 AM
To: nvda-addons@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [nvda-addons] Re: ocr addon: can it scan the webpage

Since this add-on is open source, is there any way that anyone else could make it better? Also, is there anyway that we could make an add on to scan capture codes?
Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 21, 2014, at 7:29 PM, "Alex H." <linuxx64.bashsh@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Seconded. The OCR addon scans the screen, it's not as fine-tuned as
something meant to grab text from a document. So much depends on
resolution, color, etc.

You can OCR a particular object on the screen by moving to it with
Object Nav, and then doing NVDA+R on it. It by default scans the
focused object, which might not be what you want to scan, but I'm
getting off the original  topic here. :)

On 6/21/14, Stefan Moisei <vor_tex123@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,
I suggest you to find the manga in a downloadable format, e.g. pdf or jpg
and then run it through a specialized OCR software like FineReader. The OCR

engine used in the OCR addon is not as good as the commercial ones and the
image resolution is much worse on the screen than in a downloaded image,
that's why I think it doesn't work. Plus the other things shown on the
screen along with the manga.