[nvda-addons] Re: SpeechPlayerInEspeak

  • From: James Teh <jamie@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nvda-addons@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2015 08:50:17 +1000

I'll try to clarify this rather confusing mess.

1. The nvSpeechPlayer engine is an implementation of the Klatt speech
synthesis algorithms. It also includes phoneme data for English.
2. We then packaged this as the nvSpeechPlayer NVDA add-on. It uses
eSpeak for English dictionary data, but otherwise, it is a separate
synthesiser. It can only speak English. Work on this has been
abandoned, but some users still find it useful/interesting, so it's
probably worth keeping around.
3. Aside from only being able to speak English, the nvSpeechPlayer
add-on also had other problems, mostly related to lengths of sounds.
4. In order to benefit from eSpeak's length data, support for other
languages, etc., we tried another approach: the speechPlayerInEspeak
add-on. This integrates the nvSpeechPlayer synthesis engine into
eSpeak itself, replacing eSpeak's existing (and somewhat buggy)
Klatt engine.

So, in short, these are two separate add-ons and probably do need two separate pages unless we want to drop the nvSpeechPlayer add-on completely. In that case, the speechPlayerInEspeak page should stay, not the nvSpeechPlayer page.
Also, much of the info on the nvSpeechPlayer page (from Implementation onwards) isn't useful to users. IMO, there should just be a little bit of info and interested people can go read the project page for more details.
So, the nvSpeechPlayer page needs to note that it is a separate synthesizer that only speaks English, while the speechPlayerInEspeak page should note that it integrates nvSpeechPlayer right into eSpeak.

Jamie

On 29/07/2015 3:27 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi,
For speech player, let's hear from Jamie about this add-on.
For duplicate Spanish page for Clip Contents Designer, I'll do as requested on
August 1st.
Cheers,
Joseph