[nvda-addons] Re: [Nvda-devel] Addons page questions

  • From: Grzegorz Zlotowicz <grzezlo@xxxxx>
  • To: nvda-addons@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2013 21:42:36 +0200

Hello,
I tested the negotiation using Curl, and as far as I can tell, it doesn't work - in different configurations of language used... I need feedback from somebody, for whom this autodetection is working (Ondrej): I wrote a small script to report headers received by the server from user browser:
http://www.zlotowicz.pl/hdr.php
It prints back all received headers, if you can copy it and send it back to me, maybe off-list, it would be possible to simulate the same headers using curl request to server, and then check what's difference between yours (working) and mine (not working).

Greetings, Greg.

W dniu 2013-09-18 17:54, Mesar Hameed napisał/a:
Hi,

On Wed 18/09/13,16:04, Grzegorz Zlotowicz wrote:
Unfortunately, I can't find the code piece where this detection is
performed,
It is all done using apache content negotiation
and as you guessed, once the translator commits his po file, it gets
converted to a static html, and ikiwiki is no longer involved.
I followed the instructions here:
http://ikiwiki.info/plugins/po/
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/content-negotiation.html

I activated negotiation only a few months ago, but can't currently find
the dev list emails that requested this, and confirmed that it was
working for them once I completed the server changes.
I think I remember Ondrej also helped to test it back then.

ikiwiki only uses cookies for administrators when they log in, but since
I have disabled all online login this shouldn't be an issue.

Just to test, Ondrej maybe you can clear all browser cookies and try again
please?

It would be good to hear from someone else who has non-english
os/browser.

thanks,
Mesar

W dniu 2013-09-18 11:24, Ondrej Rosik napisał/a:
Hmm, I am getting the page in Slovak as expected, but I am not
sure if I get it in slovak in first time so maybe there are
cookies involved, but probably not.

Dňa 18. 9. 2013 8:48 Grzegorz Zlotowicz  wrote / napísal(a):
Hello,
so as Mesar suggested, i'm moving this thread to addons list from devel,
and by the way - welcome to everybody here.
1. Language autodetection doesn't work for my language/browser.
I used Firefox 23.0.1
and Iexplorer  10.0.9200.16686
and it didn't work in both browsers.
For iexplore the Accept-Language  is:
pl-PL
and for Firefox
Accept-Language
pl,en-us;q=0.7,en;q=0.3
and after navigating to addons.nvda-project.org I get the site in
English, and pl translation is 100 % but I must switch to it manually.

I downloaded the nvdaaddonteam/ikiwiki-ctl, but it's only the
nvdaWeb.setup file, and i didn't find the template modifications you
mention.
Unfortunately after downloading git.ikiwiki.info I don't see templates
too, so I'll try to investigate thing further later.
By the way, I'd suggest also putting the percentage of translation in
the language link, so by simply pressing Tab user receives all needed
information.

And in fact - untranslated phrases are showing up in the pages -
my mistake.

Greetings, Greg.

W dniu 2013-09-16 23:03, Mesar Hameed napisał/a:
Hi,

On Mon 16/09/13,20:00, Grzegorz Zlotowicz wrote:
Hello,
my question, whom could I contact off-list regarding development of
addons.nvda-project.org website?
Me, at the moment.
but unfortunately I don't have much time these weeks.

I have 3 suggestions, and maybe will be able to help with
the code a bit?
1. Language auto-detection, based on accept-language header
send by the
browser.
This should already be working, isnt it for your language/browser?

Now user experience is a bit difficult - 1. go to site, 2. locate your
language, 3. on each subpage it's needed to skip manually
trough all the
language links...
It could be simplified - language autodetection,
and simple form with
possibility of force an other language by selecting it from
the list and
clicking change (probably not needed for most users, but anyway) it
could be located at the end of each subpage.
We are mostly using the default template files that come with ikiwiki,
with small modifications to add h1 for inline and archive pages.
our files can be found here:
https://bitbucket.org/nvdaaddonteam/ikiwiki-ctl
you can read more about ikiwiki here:http://ikiwiki.info
and clone its source
git clone git://git.ikiwiki.info/
if you look at the templates directory you will see the default
templates that we havent overridden.
I realize that you dont have a wiki instance to test with, but
Templates are quite nice and shouldn't be hard to modify to
give better
accessibility.
you can view the raw html source of addons.nvda-project.org,
to see what
template is used when, if I remember correctly its nicely commented.

2. If it isn't as easy as we would like it to be for
technical reasons,
I'd suggest small, quick but powerful modification of
layout, that after
the long language list header with repeated page title be
placed, making
it easy by pressing h letter to skip to page content.
This is certainly possible.
Some of the templates use landmarks, but they dont work for me
here with
firefox/orca on linux. Again not had the time to locate the
issue to see
if it is my software or the html markup that needs improving.

3. Untranslated phrases should be placed in original english form in
content of sites, because now user knows that 50 percent of website is
not translated, but he or she doesn't know what is missing...
This is already done, the message will be fuzzy, and the
english message
is displayed instead.
This means that you might have 2 translated paragraphs separated by a
paragraph in english.

We can continue this thread on the addon list:
//www.freelists.org/list/nvda-addons

thanks,
Mesar

1,500+ hours of tutorials including VisualStudio 2012, Windows
8, SharePoint
2013, SQL 2012, MVC 4, more. BEST VALUE: New Multi-Library
Power Pack includes

If you have questions for list moderators, please send a message
to nvda-addons-moderators@xxxxxxxxxxxxx.