[NTA HRC] NTA Member Marlon Batey passed away

  • From: "M. Wayne Boston" <m.w.boston@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ntahamptonroads@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 12:20:52 -0400

Hello All,

I just want to inform you that our recently installed NTA Hampton Roads Chapter Vice-President, Marlon Batey, 27 has just passed away this Saturday, April 14, 2007. We don't have that much at this time. He was in a car accident somewhere in the South Hampton Roads Area of Virginia. He was rushed to the Hospital and placed on life support. The head injuries were too severe and he passed away that night. He was a organ donor. We should have more information by Wednesday. The funeral will take place in Nasville, Tennessee. Please, take some time to pray for the Batey Family for this untimely loss.

For those who didn't get a chance to meet this sharp, intelligent, enthusiastic gentleman, I just want to leave you with some appreciation thoughts. He was a volunteer not only NTA, but he volunteered with the Southeastern Consortium for Minority Engineers (SECME) Nashville, TN ? General Evaluator, National Mousetrap Car Competition, Webmaster, Mechanical Engineering Department, Tennessee State University, and as a Mathematics Tutor. He was the honored guest speaker for the 19th Annual Mathematics Contest held at New Horizon's Governor's School, May 20, 2006. He was in the process of helping us revamp our outreach efforts.

Marlon C. Batey obtained both his B. S. and M.E. degree in Mechanical Engineering at Tennessee State University (TSU) in Nashville Tennessee where he received funding from the National Science Foundation (NSF) through Tennessee State University's Center of Excellence/Center of Automated Space Science (100% tuition covered for BS and ME degrees). He started his career in 2004. His absence will be felt here at NASA Langley Research Center.

M. Wayne Boston
Past NTA Hampton Roads Chapter President '03

[]

M. Wayne Boston
NASA Langley Research Center
IAM Process Team Lead, MS 241