[nswnra] Re: Last night's viewing

  • From: "Corona Australis" <corona_australis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <nswnra@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2010 14:02:30 +1000

It's nice to have a scope with an Argo on it too lol say's he who's a tad lazy

A UHC filter works on more target than an OIII, still I do find myself using it

more than my UHC. If you want to see the Veil it's better with an OIII almost

like turning a light on and off. I also find a lot of planetary nebula look
better

with an OIII

The Perseids meteor shower peaked last night, I saw several spectacular
fireballs

shooting along the eastern horizon. Can only guess they were associated

with Perseids.

Cheers,CS

Rob

From: corona_australis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: nswnra@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2010 10:24:22 +1000

Hi Paul,

Sounds like you had a reasonable night. It was a tad mushy out here too.

I think that jet stream came back into play.

The 16" is working a treat, I can certainly see the difference the new

coating has achieved, so money well spent IMO. Last night I mostly went

back over objects I have been chasing with the 8". I did revisit the quartet

along with IC 5148 with and without an OIII filter. In the 16" it is fairly
easily

observed without but certainly enhanced with an OIII haven't tried it with

my UHC filter.

Standouts Lagoon neb and the Veil neb both using 20mm + OIII really

came alive filtered. The Veil's stringy filaments Wow! I spent probably a

good 20-30 minutes on that one. The Swan neb is another that benefits

from an OIII.

Cheers,CS

Rob