[nswnra] Re: Elections and Rugby

  • From: G C <cozens3@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nswnra@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 04:56:22 +1000

From the SMHSystem is cuckoo - ask the Swiss

For the 40 years I lived in Australia I have wondered why we call the
Westminster system democracy. I learnt at school that democracy meant rule
by the people, not half the people.

If the same election result had happened in Switzerland, Labor would put up
half the ministers and the Coalition the other half. The prime minister
would be elected by the ministers and rotated every year, with no special
powers except chairing the meetings and representing the nation.

Running a country democratically is not a game in which one side is the
winner for three years. All sides have a right to be involved in the
executive. It puts responsibility on all the parties.

* Henty Schneebeli * Moree

We moved to Australia from Switzerland in 1988. The longer I live here, the
more I admire my native country for its unity, despite its variety in
language, geography and religion. Our government consists of seven ministers
from five political parties; the bigger parties hold more seats than the
smaller ones. And the consensus works.

* Eva Wicki * Mosman