[nswnra] Re: Elections and Rugby

  • From: Paul McGuiness <argonavis9@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <nswnra@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2010 10:46:41 +1000

Hi Rob,

I think the Greens doubled their numbers
in the Senate from 5 to 10. They took the
seat of House of Reps. seat of Melbourne
from Labor.
The new senators (including the
10 green ones) won't take their place
in the Senate until July 1 next year.
The Senate has strange electoral rules,
and normally only half the senators
are up for election at the Federal elections.
A double dissolution has both the House
of Reps and the whole Senate up for
election, but that's an unusual occurrence.
The only good thing about Greens having
the balance of power is that their leader
Brown has some common sense. Some of
those ex-National independents are strange
critters though, so the horse trading to form
a government, either Labor or Coalition,
will be interesting.

A good result for the AB's but it means
the contest is too lop-sided. If anyone had a chance
to beat them, the Boks at home were the ones.
Cheers, Paul.

From: corona_australis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: nswnra@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [nswnra] Re: Elections and Rugby
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2010 08:28:07 +1000

Well it looks like Parliament is hung, your worst fears Paul I thinkthere will
be a bit of haggling through the week. Luckily for Gillardmost of the
independents are ex National so the NBN which theyseem to like might work in
her favour. I guess time will tell. I missedthe end, just got to tired waiting
for the Rugby. Abbott seemed likehe was claiming victory by a small margin.
Anyways I woke about 3:30 with Tri Nation Rugby on my mind. So Igot up to watch
the recording. And I can tell you seeing a coupleof the Spring Boks smiling and
making jokes during the Haka I knewthey would lose. It was an exceptionally
tough game and it lookedlike the boks were going to win with the All Blacks
keep pace and receive a Tri Nation Cup winning bonus point. But the boks ran
outof steam in the final 10 minutes and the mighty All Blacks slammedhome a
couple of tries. It was one of the toughest game of RugbyI have seen in a long
while, I wouldn’t be surprised if the Wallabiesput in a similar effort back in
Sydney 11th September. The two boksv Wallabies matches in South Africa seem a
little meaningless now.They’re more likely want to redeem themselves against
the cup winners. So Paul, unfortunate on both fronts. But I am over joyed we
have the Tri Nation back for the 10th time. Anyone know how many Green got up
in the senate? Cheers,CS bring on the new moon!!!!!! Rob From:
nswnra-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:nswnra-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Paul McGuiness
Sent: Saturday, 21 August 2010 22:32
To: nswnra@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [nswnra] Re: Elections and Rugby Yes, very close election. I'm not very
keen on minor parties like the Greens
or anyone else having the balance of power.
It gives them an electoral clout that they don't
deserve from the ballot-box perspective.
Footy is more interesting, especially
the AB's verses Boks on home turf.
Should be a tough tussle. I'm sort of
hoping the Boks win, while at the same
time, deploring their sometimes dirty play.

Cheers, Paul.