[npcug] Broadband settings query

  • From: "David Farthing" <dfarthing@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <npcug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 11:09:34 +0100

Thanks John, Graham and Paul. I sent your comments to Mike and this is his
reply:

Thanks for this. I have 'semi' solved it as follows.

The dlink ties itself to the mac address of the
network card/machine you set it up with, so you can't
set it up on one machine then move it to another.
Smoothwall does not have a browser, so you can't use
the use smoothwall to set up the dlink, and I am not
able to figure out how to use a machine on the green
interface to access the dlink which is on the red
interface.

This is what I have done.
set up smoothwall2 with green and red interfaces.
green=192.168.0.2, red=dhcp

attach dlink to red interface card.
dlink is a dhcp server.

reboot smoothwall machine with Knoppix cd, this is a
Linux which runs from a cd.Knoppix gets its address
from dlink when it starts up. This step allows me to
access the dlink using knoppix and Netscape, on
192.168.0.1 and set it up with isp access details on
pppoe
Once setup is saved, press connect, and broadband
starts up.Take out knoppix disk and reboot smoothwall,
everything works.
The dlink only has connect on demand, (no connect on
switch on)so if dlink goes off or is switched off for
any reason, you have to go through the knoppix routine
again to restart the connection.

This is not perfect, but we never switch off the
smoothwall or modem, except for maintainance, so I can
live with this.

I would like to know how to 'see through' from the
green interface to the dlink,to cut out the knoppix
step. If anyone with the answer could let me know, I
am sure it is simple for a network guy!

Mike