[norcal-hug] Funding NORCAL-HUG activities

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: norcal-hug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 20:53:12 -0700

Hello folks,

In the last year or so, those of us in the Bay Area have organized a
presence for Haiku in various events, open source and otherwise. We have
so far participated in conferences such as SCaLE, LUGRadio and
LinuxWorld, as well LUG meeting(s) and hacking events like
SuperHappyDevHouse. Later this year, we are planning on exhibiting at
OSCON in San Jose.

In the past, the expenses for all these events came from our own pocket,
although we did get in a few occasions reimbursement from Haiku Inc. for
some (but not all) of the expenses.

As these activities become more regular, the cost that they represent
becomes a concern. It is nice to get support from Haiku Inc., but I am
starting to think it may be a good idea to try to pursue ways to become
self-sustained, perhaps through means such as donations, a membership
fee, the sale of t-shirts, etc.. (OSCON would be a good place to promote
NORCAL-HUG and to push for membership, for example).

What's the general feel about this? Thoughts, opinions and ideas are all
welcome.

Regards,

Jorge