[noCensorship] Re: various replies

  • From: wayne <wayne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nocensorship@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 5 Oct 2004 21:38:21 -0000

Sorry. A mail loop at sourceforge managed to disable my nym account.
I haven't needed to reconfigure it for so many years now, it took some
days to reenable it. <blush>
Anyway, it's coded up now, so next time it will take just a few seconds.

Here's the reply i tried to send days ago ...

> Hi Wayne
>

> >> You need Tk version 804 now. You can get that by upgrading to
> >> activestate perl 8 or just get the module from CPAN.
> >>

> when I visited
> http://activestate.com/Products/Download/Download.plex?id=ActivePerl
> I found a version # 5.8.4
>
> ***Is that what you mean by perl 8 ? or 804 ?***

Wherever i wrote perl 8 , i meant 5.8[.anything] and where I wrote
perl 6, i meant 5.6[.anything]. Activestate also has build numbers
for these, but forget them.

The Tk version numbers are as I wrote them.

Sorry about the confusion.

> Because http://www.cpan.org/ports/index.html inter alia
> leads me to http://www.activestate.com/ActivePerl/
> or
> http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/perl/win32-bin/
>
> both seem to have versions numbered 5.8.x.y ....

Any perl will do, even 5.6. The apache builds seem to be much larger
than the activestate ones, and since i developed with activestate
perl (for MS Windows), i'd recommend activestate.
I'm committed to ensure proxyTools work with any perl
distribution though.

To fix your current problem, all you really need is to make sure
you get Tk804 (or later).

You also said:

> Hi Wayne
>
> Welcome back !
>
> Thanks for the answers
>
> [...........]
>
> >> You need Tk version 804 now. You can get that by upgrading to
> >> activestate perl 8 or just get the module from CPAN.
> >>
> >> I'm sorry I was forced to break backwards compatibility but it's for
> >> the best. Perl 8 is much better. I meant to add a release
> >> notes comment about it, but of course i forgot.
> >> Tk 800 (packaged with activestate perl 6) no longer works.
>

> are there any other issues I should check for or is it a plain vanilla
> upgrade to V 8 ?

I had some problems, iirc, but mainly because i had existing programs
to maintain (such as proxyTools). I've been working with 5.8 for a
some time now, so any problems with proxyTools should have been found
by now. I can't vouch for any other perl scripts you might have.
The release notes contain a list of incompatibilities that is very
useful. Mostly minor.

> [............]
>

> >> That news service is a local abstraction of
> >> a real news service that you specify in the configuration file you
> >> choose to use (selected at start time from a drop-down list in the GUI).
> >> You should edit your own into that config-<config name>.xml file first.
> >> There's one already there, so it should be clear what to do.
> >> Run localProxy, wait until it builds, then configure a News account in
> >> your news client at localhost:10119.
>

> This is a little complicated for me

LocalProxy provides a localhost proxy for a service you normally
couldn't connect to directly vecause of your censoring environment.
It's an abstraction in the same sense that an API is an abstraction
of some more complicated stuff the caller doesn't need to know about.
That concept is more useful when you see that localProxy provides
a single localhost HTTP proxy which is really an abstraction of a
group of HTTP proxies that you normally can't connect to directly.
In abstracting, it hides the fact that it's handling speed
selection, reliability selection, connection strategy selection,
censoring avoidance, ... even silly but useful things like alerting
on user-specified strings.

> could you explain a little more on what I should do with the config file

There's various documentation, probably badly organized, in the docs
that come with proxyTools. I've explained various aspects of this here
in the past as well. I couldn't type enough here to cover it properly
anyway. Tell me exactly what you need to do and i'll give you detailed
help.

I would recommend that you make a copy of the config file that was
made for wherever you are, for your own use. Then merge any results to
it, change the news server in it, and run localProxy.
Then select your new config from the list in the GUI, and start the
build ('start services'). While it's building, you create a news
account as above. When the LP build has finished (it beeps, and
tells you to configure your proxies in a web browser etc.), you
can initiate the connection from the news client.

> Thanks
>
> NB

It's a pity that most people won't read this far, but here's a tip.
Several components of proxyTools use lots of connections.
That gets screwed by the new windows xp service pack 2, which has
a deliberately crippled tcpip stack. These tools will still work,
but slowly. Both statProxy and localProxy are affected.
If you want them to retain their full functionality, it's best
to use a patched version of the tcpip.sys file.
I got mine from http://www.lvllord.de/?url=tools#4226patch

wayne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(remove the obvious extra 's')
===8>============== noCensorship community ===============