[noCensorship] Re: my site: 'howto bypass censorship' and a proxylist

  • From: wayne <wayne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nocensorship@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 28 Mar 2003 17:49:15 -0000

> From: nocensorship@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> To: wayne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [noCensorship] my site: 'howto bypass censorship' and a proxylist
>
> Hello nocensorship,
>
>      I'm Freerk Ohling (19 years) from Germany. I am very interested
>      in the internet censorship issue since the government here in
>      Germany tries to introduce censorship and my school did it
>      already. Because I didn't found an easy tutorial to bypass
>      censorship I simply wrote one on my own *gg*
>
>      Since you here (expecially wayne) are THE censorship gurus I know
>      of, it would be very great if you review my webpage and give me
>      some tips! Lot of the content I collected from different websites
>      or invented it by myself. I couldn't test it very much, maybe you
>      can...
>
>      here the adress: http://www.zensur.freerk.com

This is very well done!
You've got the essentials right, with only a couple of nitpicks.
AFAICS, you've covered it all too.

Nitpicks:
1) my last site was http://www.angelfire.com/my/6waynes/, not
1waynes. But I don't maintain it any more. You might refer people
to the SourceForge site in my sig, though there's little tutorial
info there.
2) You mention the telnet test for a blocked port, but don't
mention any of the tools I've written to provide better and more
information about blocked ports (master.pl) or proxies (findProxy.pl,
statProxy.pl). Again, the SF site in my sig.
3) You don't mention hosts.xml (in hosts.zip) as a source for
proxies. The thousands of proxies in there are not just for
localProxy, though to extract ones usable from a specified ISP,
or with specified characteristics (anon, CONNECT, etc.) you need
extractHosts.pl.
4) Come to think of it, you don't mention localProxy in the list
of ways to bypass censorship. In 4.3.4 Set up an own Proxy Server,
say, but it could also come under socks proxies and several other
places.
5) You need to fill in the shell section. That's good for
redirectors/relays/bouncers and things like ssh port forwarding,
and even ssh socks proxy setup. A big advantage with ssh is that
you can be sure it's encrypted, whether you forward ports or use
it's built-in socks proxy. Even when you only have access to a
proxy with everything else blocked (many schools and corps, for
example), it's easy (with something like localProxy) to set up a
connection (via CONNECT, say) and then ssh through that with privacy.
When you fill out this section, remember that 'shell' sounds
restrictive to people. *Any* computer outside the firewall
that you can run programs on might be usable (your computer at
home, for example).
Shells (home computers included) are also useful for running
things like CGI proxies or localProxy, immediately giving you
a non-standard port, uncensored proxy
6) DNS servers don't block URLs. The browser (or proxy) uses the DNS
server to resolve the host part of the URL only, then makes the
connection to the web site and sends the whole URL. You sound
a bit confused in that section.

--
wayne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://proxytools.sourceforge.net/