[noCensorship] Re: error msg

  • From: wayne <wayne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nocensorship@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 5 Jun 2005 14:58:50 -0000

> Hi Wayne,
>    no i'm in the u.a.e
> and i thought 8080 was always open here ?

Naaa. It hasn't been open since about 1996.

> so do you have to change the proxy  set
> http_proxy=http://proxy.scs-net.org:8080 in the install.bat file ?

Err ... there's no install.bat file.
You mean modInstall.bat?
You could do that too. It might even be better to use that coz it might
contain commands to install other modules as well.

> and to what proxy?

If you're in the UAE, use the same proxy you normally use.
People usually set proxy1.emirates.net.ae:8080
If you're on an ADSL line (transparent proxy) or even on a dialup
line these days (flaky transparent proxy) you might even be able to
forget the proxy command.

> this should initiate the LPprxy file to install through the  new right ?

No, it creates a new modInstall.bat each time. Once you edit it as above
you better run it immediately.

> Les

Still the best solution is to get a new firewalls.xml.
I'd rather debug problems with that than try to step everyone through
this module installation procedure, if I can.

wayne.usually at nym.alias.net

> wayne <wayne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> Les Howard wrote:
>
> >> C:\My Documents\proxyTools.2004.12.2\proxyTools>set
> >> http_proxy=http://proxy.scs-net.org:8080
> >> C:\My Documents\proxyTools.2004.12.2\proxyTools>ppm install Net-DNS
>

> LP is attempting to install a Perl module for you, coz it's not in the
> basic Activestate Perl distribution you've installed.
> You can install it yourself anytime by using the same two commands with a
> proxy you can access.
> Skip the first command if you don't normally use a proxy.
>

> >> Error: No valid repositories:
> >> Error: 500 Can't connect to proxy.scs-net.org:8080 (connect: Unknown error)
> >> Error: 500 Can't connect to proxy.scs-net.org:8080 (connect: Unknown error)
> >>

> >> i get this message when i run local proxy in proxy tools, what does it
> >> mean ?
>

> The error is probably just what it says. You can't connect to that proxy.
> Probably port 8080 is blocked.
> The proxy is alive, but unless you're in Syria it forbids access anyway.
>
> Are you in Syria?
>
> Probably your address at the time was something like 192.168... or maybe
> 10...?
> If so, this is a bug I introduced back then. LP thought you were in Syria,
> and therefore that was a good proxy to use to install modules for you.
> I don't think it's important once you've installed the modules, but
> get a new firewalls.xml from CVS if you can anyway.
>

> >> LjH
>

> wayne

===8>============== noCensorship community ===============
List's webpage: //www.freelists.org/webpage/nocensorship