[noCensorship] Want Anonymous Mail?

  • From: Hat <hat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nocensorship@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 22 Aug 2003 20:32:10 -0000

Hi,

Anonymity and privacy are two separate things. While they often go hand in
hand, there are times when they can be separated. I have to admit, I really
like the idea Bob Cringely is describing in his latest column of an
anonymous email system that has been put in place called Mailinator
(http://www.mailinator.com/). Whenever you're asked to enter in a "valid"
email address for something, where you don't want to give out any info but
do need to get a "response" email, you just enter in any thing
@mailinator.com and it will work. You don't have to sign up with
Mailinator. You don't have to worry if someone already has that email
address. So, how do you retrieve the email? You just go and check it. There
are no passwords. In other words, it's anonymous - no one knows who you
are. But it's not private. Anyone can check your email - if they know what
email address you used. There's a little bit of privacy through obscurity,
but probably not much. So, more common "addresses" might have mail coming
in for multiple people, but everyone can go in and find their email.
Cringely also suggests that someone will create a search engine for the
system that will run through all the email accounts, but I'm not sure why
that's worthwhile.

- --
Regards,
Hat