[noCensorship] Re: UAE proxy vs. Netscape and ICQ

  • From: wayne <wayne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nocensorship@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 27 Feb 2004 23:52:41 -0000

> From: "B. Prasith" <prasith@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> To: nocensorship@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [noCensorship] UAE proxy vs. Netscape and ICQ
>
> Was wondering if anyone could help me. I use Netscape as my default
> browser and mail client. I used to access my netscape.net mailbox via
> the Netscape mail client (using the IMAP protocol), but after UAE has
> blocked access to ICQ, AOL and the likes, even my mail has stopped
> downloading.

I don't know about AOL. I agree that ICQ was blocked by the UAE
(but just change the server port from 5190 to say 5191 and
it will work again).
MSN and YIM were unaffected.

> Is there any way of over-riding this block???

IMAP is usually done on 143 and this is not blocked, at least
from a UAE DSL subnet. Check the port you're actually using
and test it yourself from whatever kind of network you are on.

Turing email: wayne at nym.alias.nest
(remove the obvious extra 's')
http://proxytools.sourceforge.net/

===8>============== noCensorship community ===============