[noCensorship] Re: UAE Proxy

  • From: wayne <wayne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nocensorship@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 29 Feb 2004 21:13:19 -0000

> Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 01:33:05 -0800 (PST)
> From: les howard <trimixdxb@xxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: [noCensorship] Re: UAE Proxy
> To: nocensorship@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> due to the world scare with the latest viruses etisalat closed down the p=
> ublic ports (like 8000) that they thought were going to be targeted. So i=
> f anybody comes across a port that is open let us know.

This sounds like rubbish to me.
I wish people would do a simple test before making statements
like this.
Am I *still* the only one here who knows how to test properly?

$ nc -vv login.icq.com 8000
login.login-grt.messaging.aol.com [64.12.161.185] 8000 (?) open : Operation now
in progress
*?$+ ?   ? sent 0, rcvd 10

That was done from a UAE DSL box and shows that port 8000
is open. Modem dialups, ISDN, etc. might be different, but I doubt it.

You might need to do it with telnet (if you don't have netcat):
telnet login.icq.com 8000

If you get the garbage characters at the end, as above, port
8000 is *not* blocked.

Turing email: wayne at nym.alias.nest
(remove the obvious extra 's')
http://proxytools.sourceforge.net/