[noCensorship] Re: Thanks to Wayne and other questions

  • From: "metac0m" <metac0m@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nocensorship@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 07:54:36 -0800

> 1. Since many users from various censoring countries are here,
> what are the rules re. censorship (if they are written..)
> say in places like Myanmar, China, Singapore, UAE, Saudi Arabia etc... ?

It is difficult to determine exactly what countries block all the time,
since it is prone to change, however you'll find that most countries
censor porn (often some commercial list they've purchased) and sites of
specific political concern.

Myanmar
Uses dansguardian
I've found that some porn  and dissident (i.e. free burma type) sites
are blocked.

China
Uses sophisticated packet filtering
Can ban by keyword
Bans lots of sites (difficult to tell exactly b/c 1. after visiting a
blocked site your connection will die for a seemingly random period of
time 5 -20 min and 2. because the errors you get a generic network
timeout (i.e. 400 and above) etc... but they block tinbet sites, falun
gong sites etc... see the Berman Center's study for details)

Singapore
block porn -- reportedly 100 high impact sites.
I've found that playboy.com sex.com are blocked. I havent really looked
into it in more detail than that.

UAE
I've found mostly porn is blocked and some specific sites critical like
uaeprison.com

Saudi
Mostly porn, gambling and dissident e.g. MIRA are blocked.

I am working on a world wide study of this if anyone is interested.
(metac0m@xxxxxxxxx)

> Do these countries have their Do's and don't in some website ?
> If so URL please

Many ISP's have their terms of service posted -- often in english too --
but they are generally vague.

> 2. There used to be a web site called "Safe Web" and they had
> a proxy called Triangle boy (if I remember right)
> Are these guys in business still ? If so under what name ? where?

Triangle boy is no longer around.

> 3. Which free servers allow you to run your software from there
> for e.g. If I wish to set up a stunnel connection, would any free server
> be of help

Point of access for circumvention is problematic: if you can find out
about it publicly so can those who want to censor it. Its far easier if
you have freinds/relatives in a non censored country who can install
circumvention software for you.

Anoter problem is -- and I've experienced this -- that if you setup a
publicly accessible circumvention system people begin downloading
entire porn movies hogging up all your bandwidth -- it can be very
frustrating.

The other problems are a) if your connection is not encrypted anyone
upstream (i.e. you ISP) can easily track the content of your sessions,
also if they censor by keyword you may also still be censored.

If you use an ancrypted connection -- HTTPS, SSH etc.... then they can
only see that you have connected to the remote server -- they cannot in
the case of HTTPS see the path of what you've requested -- so if you
setup a CGIProxy etc... be sure to include a random path so that if
they connect to what you've connected to to see whats going on they
can't see that you are accessing a circumvention system.