[noCensorship] Re: Refreshing this group

  • From: wayne <wayne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nocensorship@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 27 May 2005 20:31:42 -0000

OSAMA alali wrote:

>   hi All,   This group gone dead since The owner do no more supply any free
> proxy list,

The owner never did. It was normal members, just like you!

> So I think it is time for us to refresh it. Does any body have
> any ideas that can help us in this ?

Sure. It might be too late for this list, but here are some suggestions:

I'll admit I'm not around much now because I lost interest after so many years.
There wasn't any interesting discussion any more.

My case might be an exception.
I wrote a heap of software that does what *I* needed, and I'm happy with it. It
was good to have bug reports. Any extra functionality I need occasionally is
easily added to what I have already. It's so general now that I need (for
example) new proxy lists maybe once every 6 months.

Some others were interested in spamming, and they were good to have around, coz
they tended to scan for proxies and then post them here.

Keep the skilled guys (many have left over the years) interested in helping, by
attempting to do a bit of your own research and learning.
Report new News; ask good questions; give them something to think about.
I think just one interesting discussion every month is enough to keep such
people subscribed and reading. More than that might even get them to post!

I originally thought I could teach people, but there were maybe only 3 or 4
people over many years who spent time trying to understand. The rest are happy
to just ask for a proxy. Sometimes that's appropriate, but most times it's just
easier.

It would be great if sometimes people would run tests on the proxy lists we've
posted. They work at the time they are posted, but they die quickly. I test
repeatedly after that, coz noone else does.
There are ISPs i can't test for (KSA comes to mind). I haven't had proxy test
results from there for about 2 years!

My test results are still available to all, but I think most people aren't even
willing to make the effort to get that database and extract the proxies useful
for them.

It's not real hard.

Regards,
wayne