[noCensorship] Re: How to use LP ? for some one who does not know CVS

  • From: wayne <wayne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nocensorship@xxxxxxxxxxxxx,proxytools-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, net@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 4 Oct 2003 23:01:55 -0000

> From: rainman <rainman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> To: nocensorship@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [noCensorship] Re: How to use LP ? for some one who does not know CVS
>
> Dear Wayne
>
> On 2 Oct 2003, wayne <wayne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[...]

> >>Should I package up the current CVS proxyTools as a new release?
> >>Is there any demand for that?
>
> Not from me. Provided the CVS version of L.P. / P.Tools
> is the "..current ... proxyTools .."
> or the latest usable version of LP / Proxy tools

It is. Occasionally, when I make a major rewrite, I keep it here
until I get a chance to be sure it works, but otherwise I commit
it to CVS as soon as i compile without errors, and run with no
obvious problems. I've been known to commit even with a syntax
error though, so just go back to the previous version if that
happens to you.

> BTW, I've already downloaded the latest CVS version
> You were right. The module name is case sensitive !!
> I use the case sentivite one and it works like magic !

You should always assume case sensitivity. After all, it's pretty
much only Microsoft that has it's file system case insensitive.
Even URL paths when you are web browsing are case sensitive.

[...]

> >>Users probably should update the proxy database every month or so,
> >>but that's just 100KB (and just one button click from the LP gui).
>
> OK. I assume that the Proxy list that came with the CVS download today
> is the latest as of now ?

Yes. It's in hosts.zip, but it gets processed the first time you
run LP and apears as hosts.xml.

> >>It's automatic if you put it in the LP directory (that placement
> >>is done automatically if you use the 'Update proxies' button).
> >>You need to restart LP to get the new database used for a
> >>new run, of course. Don't try to use a 'last' or 'saved'
> >>configuration for the restart (they ignore any new proxies).
> >>

> ..hmm... "..Don't try to use a 'last' or 'saved'.."
> - didn't understand that.. will see as we go ?

'Last' and saved will appear in the list of configs you can choose
when starting LP.
'Last' means the configuration you last chose to start LP with
(modified with what it learned while running).
'Saved' is similar, except it's a snapshot config taken by clicking
the 'Save running config' button. The idea is that once you see LP
has made a lot of good choices and is running well, you can save
the state for the next time you use LP.

Both of those configs will save LP a lot of startup time if you
choose them. Any other config you choose will require LP to go
through the hosts.xml database and evaluate and choose proxies
for the build. That takes about 2 minutes on my 1GHz development
machine.

[...]

> >>There is only one way to (almost) ensure your privacy - use
> >>encrypted tunnels.
>
> OK
>
> >>LP does not do this by itself, but if you understand what it
> >>does, and you have some way to handle decryption outside (say
> >>a shell with sshd), then it's (usually) not hard to set up LP
> >>with encryption, so ask me about your specific case.
>
> Will do ! - do you have a write up somewhere already ?
> If so please post the URL

See the help docs, IIRC.
At least there is some documentation about how to use a shell
account to set up ssh port forwarding at:
http://www.angelfire.com/my/6waynes/
but that may be blocked for you.

If it is blocked, and you want it, I will take that as the kick in
the ass I needed to add the stuff from that site into the
proxyTools supporting documentation.

[...]

> >>If you want to keep up with the code, the problem is a bigger one
> >>(at least the initial setup is), but there's no real requirement
> >>for this.
> >>

> Since I've suceeded with CVS and as and when I have time on hand I'd
> like to keep up with the code.. So that I can be a beta tester and
> give **something ** back to the system !! ??

Great.
Even if Perl is beyond you, you (or anyone) could, at least, tell
me what's wrong with documentation. Hell, I'd be happy to give you
CVS commit access if you wanted to maintain that.

[...]

> >>Releases are on the files page as zips, not in CVS, but I know
> >>what you mean. CVS is stuff that's 'work in progress', and I can't
> >>promise it even runs (except on *my* development system, that is).
> >>

> This is a little confusing.
>
> What do you suggest
> ----------------------------
> - Go for the L.P. *release(s)* that are as old as Nov 2002
> OR
> - go for CVS version of L.P. ?? (BTW, I have NOT started using
> LP - lest I should start with the wrong one)

At the moment CVS is by far the best way to go, since the last
release is so old.

[...]

> >>I use the Cygwin version of cvs, because I would not expect any
> >>Windows version to be standards compliant.
>
> :-))

I didn't mean to joke. It's just the way Microsoft works to keep
their market. Even developers on Windows systems are often stuck
with the protocol 'enhancements' made by MS.

[...]

> Thanks
> DG

===8>============== noCensorship community ===============