[noCensorship] Re: How to use LP ? for some one who does not know CVS

  • From: rainman <rainman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nocensorship@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2003 04:36:00 -0500

Dear Wayne

On 2 Oct 2003, wayne <wayne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> From: rainman <rainman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> To: nocensorship@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> Subject: [noCensorship] How to use LP ? for some one who does not know CVS
>
>Let me summarize the whole of my response below up here:
>Nothing you mention below actually *needs* to be done, or
>understood. It's all just bells and whistles - and there
>are *so* many of them in the proxyTools project :-)

OK

>Here's the right place for me to ask this too.

OK

>Should I package up the current CVS proxyTools as a new release?
>Is there any demand for that?

Not from me. Provided the CVS version of L.P. / P.Tools
is the "..current ... proxyTools .."
or the latest usable version of LP / Proxy tools

BTW, I've already downloaded the latest CVS version
You were right. The module name is case sensitive !!
I use the case sentivite one and it works like magic !

>> 1. I download Pearl and install that. What is the smallest (in terms of
>> size) version of Perl I should / I can use ?
>
>It will be about 10MB (I haven't checked lately).
>You *need* to do that once only. You might want to use Perl for
>other things, so you might want to keep it up to date too.
>Your alternative is to get the Windows download of proxyTools by
>itself.

Understood. I'll go for perl + source code version
I'm yet to download perl. Will do soon

[...............]

>But it's tiny.
>Once you have Perl installed, the source code for the
>whole project is just a few hundred KB.

I've just now downloaded the CVS version of L.P. / P.Tools

>If you really want to keep up with the latest code, those downloads
>would take just minutes even for a modem user.

agreed

>Users probably should update the proxy database every month or so,
>but that's just 100KB (and just one button click from the LP gui).

OK. I assume that the Proxy list that came with the CVS download today
is the latest as of now ?

>> 3. Later use the proxy list you have given below (please mention what is
>> the method to make LP use this proxy list rather than use the standard list
>> that comes with it)
>
>It's automatic if you put it in the LP directory (that placement
>is done automatically if you use the 'Update proxies' button).
>You need to restart LP to get the new database used for a
>new run, of course. Don't try to use a 'last' or 'saved'
>configuration for the restart (they ignore any new proxies).

..hmm... "..Don't try to use a 'last' or 'saved'.."
- didn't understand that.. will see as we go ?

[................]

>There is only one way to (almost) ensure your privacy - use
>encrypted tunnels.

OK

>LP does not do this by itself, but if you understand what it
>does, and you have some way to handle decryption outside (say
>a shell with sshd), then it's (usually) not hard to set up LP
>with encryption, so ask me about your specific case.

Will do ! - do you have a write up somewhere already ?
If so please post the URL

>> I am worried about 2 issues
>> (1) Local Big brother - to some extent
>> (2) my sys admin. - to a much larger extent
>
>Everyone would love to be invisible to their admin/ISP, but it's
>impossible. They own the cables from your desk/house in many
>cases, and they always have access to every packet of data you
>send and receive.
>
>The best you can do is to allow them to see your initial connection
>(which may be innocuous), and thereafter ensure that everything
>is encrypted.

Ok. This is what I am looking for. You said it clearly !!

[................]

>I have never had much luck with SSL, but CONNECT through a
>proxy is used by LP (commStrat 1). There's no encryption possible
>unless there's an end point decryption somewhere (like a web site,
>so you can encrypt to your bank, etc.). I've always thought I
>should spend some time to investigate, find, test, and use any
>proxies which could allow LP to connect to them using SSL, but
>the truth is it would involve a lot of work adding the SSL code,
>and it's more easily done in other ways.
>

>Personally, I use ssh to a shell account (with some port
>forwarding) and tell LP to use my end of that tunnel as it's
>target proxy/service. Then everything is encrypted. I use a
>script to set this up (executed from the localProxy 'run script'
>button). Example scripts are provided in the proxyTools
>distribution, but I'm sure some help would be needed to set
>these (and ssh) up for your own system.

Exactly. Very soon, I'll be asking you about this.

[...............]
>If you want to keep up with the code, the problem is a bigger one
>(at least the initial setup is), but there's no real requirement
>for this.

Since I've suceeded with CVS and as and when I have time on hand I'd
like to keep up with the code.. So that I can be a beta tester and
give **something ** back to the system !! ??

But I don't know if I'll rise up to that

Lets see

This "case sensitive" stuff - modulename - has kept me away from
CVS for months :-(( How sad :-((

[................]

>Releases are on the files page as zips, not in CVS, but I know
>what you mean. CVS is stuff that's 'work in progress', and I can't
>promise it even runs (except on *my* development system, that is).

This is a little confusing.

What do you suggest
----------------------------
- Go for the L.P. *release(s)* that are as old as Nov 2002
OR
- go for CVS version of L.P. ?? (BTW, I have NOT started using
LP - lest I should start with the wrong one)

[.............]
>Try the correct case, proxyTools, I think.
>On the sf CVS page ('latest development version'), you can see
>the module names.
[.............]

>I use the Cygwin version of cvs, because I would not expect any
>Windows version to be standards compliant.

:-))

[....................]

>I know that this package *is* hard to understand for new users.
>I've done what I can to make sure that, even without understanding,
>it's simple to install, start, and use.
>The package is very complicated and providing a newbie-friendly
>interface has been a challenge, to say the least.
>I only use those components when installing on someone else's
>computer, so they are not as well tested as the real code, so
>
>I'm very interested in hearing about problems or suggestions in
>this area.

I'll ask as I go !

Thanks
DG