[noCensorship] Re: Free news servers allowing SSL access on port 563

  • From: rainman <rainman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nocensorship@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2003 02:22:16 -0600

Hi Wayne

Thanks for the quick reply ( as always :-) ). I
have tried a google search, and read the FAQ's
for some news servers. Haven't found any free
news servers providing SSL support.

May be I am asking for too much (i.e.) free and
SSL !

By the way, you wrote

>Some news servers allow connection via port 563 (news.panix.com,
>for example), but I know of no free ones. A google search and a
>telnet test will probably tell you.

I can understand the google search. But how to
do the telnet test to check if it allows SSL
support over port 563.

Let us say I've found a news server called
news.abcorg.org, what should I do to check
whether this server provides SSL on port 563

Sorry for this very basic question.

Note : I said port 563 as that's what I
understood from some other FAQ's

>> Alternatively
>> What is the best way to read usenet news
>> anonymously ?
>
>Anonymously, or privately?

Sorry I didn't understand the difference.

I basically don't want my ISP to know what I
am reading

Regards

r/m