[nnasnet] two bird walks today

  • From: Tom Saunders <birdnerd53@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nnasnet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2011 16:35:34 -0500

There were seven of us for the NNAS-sponsored bird walk at the new Baylor
Park nature trail this morning, including a precocious seven year-old who
had asked to see birds instead of going shopping for her birthday! We had a
pileated woodpecker before we ever left the parking lot. There was a great
blue heron, some Canada geese, tufted timice, Carolina chickadees,
red-bellied and downy woodpeckers, several flickers, eastern towhees, song
and swamp and white-throated sparrows, a red-shouldered hawk, numerous
American crows and a turkey vulture. It was a great morning for a walk.

Later this afternoon Sylvia and I took a short walk at Hughlett Point. The
parking lot was overflowing and several of the vehicles sported out of
state license plates. There were three mute swans in the lagoon but the
main show was out in the bay where hundreds (thousands?) of surf scoters
continue their occupation of the shallow bay between Hughlett's north shore
and the south edge of Dameron two miles to the north. There were many
buffleheads mixed in and a flock of about fifty Forster's terns worked a
school of bait the entire time we were there. It's a great show.

Tom Saunders
Balls Neck