[nnasnet] standing water

  • From: Tom Saunders <birdnerd53@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nnasnet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 09:44:43 -0500

After yesterday's heavy rains water is standing in fields all over Balls
Neck. There were at least 600 ring-billed gulls in the field near our house
this morning. Along Balls Neck Road (605, I think) there were 45 (+ or -)
green-winged teal in a puddle near Shiloh School. On Cloverdale Road (the
one that takes you to Dameron Marsh) there were close to fifty each of
Killdeer and Wilson's snipe, plus some bright meadowlarks and grackles.

This is a late report, but on Sunday afternoon there were ~53 tundra swans
on the south point of Hughlett Point NAP. Other than buffleheads (60+) and
a lone horned grebe, there wasn't much going on there.

Tom Saunders
Balls Neck