[nnasnet] snowy owl near Warsaw

  • From: Tom Saunders <birdnerd53@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: VA-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, nnasnet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Frank Schaff <frankschaff@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Bill Portlock <portlock@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2013 17:19:20 -0500

While taking part in the Washington's Birthplace CBC this morning Frank
Schaff and I were surprised to flush a snowy owl from its perch near the
entrance to the Wilna tract of the Rappahannock River Valley NWR near
Warsaw, Richmond County. The bird flew ahead of my pickup for a few
seconds, then turned a corner out of sight. When we rounded the corner it
flushed in front of us again, flew about 50 yards and perched in a large
oak in plain view. I got out of the truck and took a few photos with my
cell phone. We then watched it for a couple of minutes until it flew deeper
into the woods. The bird appeared to be in good shape. When we revisited
the area later in the day we were not able to relocate it.

Tom Saunders
Kilmarnock