[nnasnet] objects in the evening sky

  • From: Tom Saunders <birdnerd53@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nnasnet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2013 20:56:19 -0400

I've just come in from watching Comet PanSTARRS set in the west. I've been
trying to see it since late last week but have been frustrated every
evening by clouds. Tonight was crystal clear.

I had a relatively low horizon to the west and the field between me and the
far trees (a derelict blueberry orchard) is a favorite spot for displaying
woodcock. While waiting for the comet to show itself I was able to watch
and listen to five display flights, all by the same tireless bird. As it
rose up against the still pale sky I could get my bins on it and follow
it spiraling up and up (twittering the whole time), passing across bright
Jupiter and Aldebaran before descending in their trademark herky-jerky fall
back to earth. There, after a couple of minutes of earnest "peenting" the
flight was repeated again.

The comet is lovely. The birds are spectacular.

Tom Saunders
Balls Neck