[nnasnet] migrants, et al

  • From: Tom Saunders <birdnerd53@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nnasnet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 21:31:20 -0400

All,

There has been a nice push of kestrels passing through the last two days,
with five or six on the power lnes along our lane both evenings when I've
been coming home from work. We don't get many migrating raptors here on the
lower Neck, but kestrels sometimes pass through in decent numbers.

At Dameron Marsh this evening there were 9 greater yellowlegs and about 30
dunlin in one of the smaller puddles, the first shorebirds we've seen this
spring.Also four mute swans, two adult bald eagles, a male northern
harrier, a red-shouldered hawk, four great blue herons and a ton of
red-winged blackbirds, plus the great horned owls on their nest. The young
owl is about half grown and developing a lot of rusty color on its breast
and belly.

Tom Saunders
Balls Neck