[nnasnet] Tuesday evening at Hughlett Point NAP

  • From: Tom Saunders <birdnerd53@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nnasnet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 11:10:07 -0400

From 5:45 to 7 last night, we walked first the trail through the woods, then
north along the beach and back to the parking lot. It was a birdy evening,
with ovenbirds, pine warblers and goldfinch clearly heard from the parking
lot before we could get out of the pickup. Tufted titmice, myrtle, prairie
and northern parula warblers, common yellowthroats (many), song sparrows,
flickers, downy woodpeckers, catbirds, gnatcatchers, starlings, red-winged
blackbirds, brown-headed nuthatches and cardinals were seen along the trail.
Once we got to the beach we saw great blue herons, ospreys, Forster's and
royal terns, herring gulls, a couple hundred surf scoters just off shore
(with four or five black scoters mixed in), common loons, a mute swan, some
mallards and a single lesser yellowlegs. Bluebirds, chipping sparrows, a
red-tailed hawk and many robins on the drive back to the house.

Tom Saunders
Balls Neck