[nnasnet] Tick Information

  • From: <jpsps@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "NNAS" <nnasnet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2014 12:22:08 -0400

My Grandson Leo is engaged in a study of ticks at Old Dominion University.  He
informed me that the adult tick population is less at this time of the year but
the larva and nymph stages are abundant.

The nymphs and larva are more difficult to detect because of their size but
they carry the same infections as the adults.  The larva will feed for a few
hours and drop off and the nymphs will feed for 2 days and drop off .
The adults will feed for up to two weeks before they are engorged  .

http://www.lymediseaseassociation.org/index.php/about-lyme/tick-vectors/photos