[nnasnet] Some FOY birds

  • From: Paul Dennehy <dennepj10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nnasnet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 11 May 2013 23:41:10 -0400

Had a good day out birding Northumberland and Lancaster counties today.
 Highlights at Hughlett Point were first-of-year SUMMER TANAGERS, AMERICAN
REDSTART, and BLACK-THROATED BLUE WARBLER.  Also had lots of shorebird
movement, with 1 AMERICAN OYSTERCATCHER being the highlight.  On the road
to Dameron Marsh, I heard my first GRASSHOPPER SPARROW of the year.  At
Dameron Marsh, there were quite a few shorebirds on the mudflats, including
3 SHORT-BILLED DOWITCHERS, 2 BLACK-BELLIED PLOVERS, 6 SEMIPALMATED PLOVERS,
and the other usual suspects.  One CLAPPER RAIL was calling.  At Hickory
Hollow, there were ACADIAN FLYCATCHERS calling all along the trail
(first-of-year for me, but others have said they've been hearing them
around for a couple weeks now).  Also, at the swamp, I observed the pair of
PROTHONOTARY WARBLERS copulating, so hopefully there will be some
successful nesting happening there.  I met up with some other birders at
Belle Isle, where we saw a NORTHERN ROUGH-WINGED SWALLOW and a flyby
SOLITARY SANDPIPER.  I also stopped by Windmill Point, but didn't see
anything unusual.

Happy birding!
Paul Dennehy
Kilmarnock, VA