[nnasnet] Snake vs Bluebirds & Crow vs. Robins, etc.

  • From: paula.boundy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: "NNAS Hotline" <nnasnet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 May 2011 17:35:43 -0400

A service of the Northern Neck Audubon Society---
This afternoon, Mon. @ 5pm approx., I was returning from walking the dogs.  As
I turned into my driveway, a movement caught my eye.  It was a fledgling,
probably a robin, that chirped and headed for the green buffer between our
houses.  I hoped for its success on the ground.  As I walked down the sidewalk,
i noticed the bluebirds dive-bombing their box on the opposite side of the
house, sounding  and acting distressed.  Ah ha, I thought and headed over
towards it.  Sure enough there was the black racer wound around the pole.  i
watched as the birds continued to dive-bomb as the snake sought purchase around
or over the baffle.  Eventually, it gave up, slid down and away.  There was
even a housse finch defending the box!

After unleashing the dogs inside, I returned to the mailbox to get the mail and
heard more bird distress noise.  I wondered if the snake had sped all the way
around to the opposite side where the fledgling had been.  I happened to look
up onto the peak of the next door house, and there was a very large crow.  Just
as I stared at it wishing to shoo it away, it took off, with a gang of birds
dive bombing it.  I watched until it was some distance away, turned and came
into the house.  I looked out the back at the bird bath and the brown thrashers
were bathing, unconcerned...

All's well for now...Paula at Hills Qtr. #18 fairway of KCGC
"Value the land for the life it harbors"  Sarah Stein

You are subscribed to the NNASnet, a birding hotline
sponsored by the Northern Neck of Virginia Audubon Society.
with "leave" in the subject line (please omit quotation marks).
For other questions or comments about the listserver,
send messages to:  nnasnet-admins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx