[nnasnet] Questions about Turkey Buzzards

  • From: "MarCon" <mfullerton1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <nnasnet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 10:19:50 -0400

Last Tuesday, while just walking (exercising) around the neighborhood, I came
across a group of Turkey Vultures just finishing up a breakfast in a neighbor's
driveway.  One of these critters caused me pause because it had rather large
(3") orangish-gold badge shaped markings on each folded wing just down from
what one would call the shoulder.  Could these have been bandings of some kind?
 I did not have field glasses with me at the time and could only approach them
to about 20 yards so no further detail could be made out other than color and
general shape.  They all flew off as I tried to move closer.  My admittedly
tiny library of bird books do not show such markings.

Mark F.