[nnasnet] Opportunity to join the Virginia Native Plant Society on outings....

  • From: Margaret Gerdts <maggieurbanna@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: NNAS Hotline <nnasnet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2012 20:56:49 -0400

Visit Virginia's Southern Appalachian Mountains
This year's tour to Southwest Virginia will take place May 6 to May 11, and
will focus on old favorites and some new special places in Wise County. We will
likely spend our first three nights in Norton visiting High Knob, Roaring
Branch and other sites in the Jefferson National Forest. Return visits to
Natural Tunnel State Park and Whitetop Mountain are a must. Other sites are
still under discussion, but we will complete our tour at Abingdon, with the
option of attending the Mt. Rogers Naturalist Rally on Friday night and
Saturday.
Plant lists and more information about the places we will visit will be
provided to registrants. We try to make these tour hikes fairly slow and easy,
but hikes in this area can be steep and rocky, and there may be two to four
miles of walking in a day.
Cost of the trip will be $550. This includes lodging, lunches and guided hikes,
and a donation of $150 to VNPS. Registration for the trip opens on March 10.
Please reserve by mailing a check to VNPS, or call the office to pay with
credit card. A deposit of $100 will hold your place, and full payment is due by
April 7.
Send payment to: Virginia Native Plant Society, SWVA Trip, 400 Blandy Farm
Lane, #2, Boyce, VA  22620

FLORIDA PANHANDLE FIELD TRIPA week-long VNPS trip to the Florida Panhandle is
planned for March 25-31, 2012Trip highlights are expected to include visits to
Florida Caverns, Angus Gholson Park, several sites in the vicinity of Torreya
State Park, stops in the Appalachicola National Forest, a boat tour of the
Appalachicola Basin (limit 13, first-come, first-served), and a guided trip to
a dune habitat on St. George Island.We expect to see trilliums, flowering
shrubs, carnivorous plants, a dwarf cypress forest, and a multitude of other
plants. The cost of the trip will be $675 and will include lodging, lunches,
guides, and admission fees. To reserve a place, send a deposit of $100 to the
VNPS office [VNPS Florida Trip, 400 Blandy Farm Lane #2, Boyce, VA 22620].
Signups will be in the order in which deposit checks are received.