[nnasnet] NNAS Monitoring of KCGC/HQ Bluebird Trail May 9, 2011

  • From: "Teeps" <tandpteeps@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "NNASHotline" <nnasnet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 09 May 2011 11:42:13 -0400

        I think this is a bit premature. After all, who has ever seen a
bluebird, except perhaps on the cover of a greeting card?
        - Reaction of a delegate when the bluebird was proposed as the
state bird for New York in 1970
One more box fledged this week, but there should be quite a few next week.
The House Sparrow at the #11 tee has apparently given up.  But the HS at
the martin gourds is still quite active.  We were wondering how the female
finds the eggs in such a mess of material as we removed the nest.  Some of
the nests that have been occupied by sitting BB females have revealed their
bounty;  but there are still a few stubborn mothers on this Mother's Day
Monday.  The Chickadee nest at my house now has babies, about 2 days old.
While the female Chickadee was sitting, I saw the male, on several
occasions, bring food to her.  The house finch nest mentioned last week now
has 5 eggs.  Probably time to start incubating them.  The house finch nest
is not an official member of the BB trail, but we are keeping an eye on it.
The Tree Swallow nest still has 6 beautiful eggs.

> Here is a summary of where we stand:
> Last week, 54+? eggs; this week, 29+? eggs.
> Last week, 38 young; this week, 74 young!!
> Last week, 5 fledged; this week, 5 fledged.

Lots of mouths to feed this week........Tom