[nnasnet] NNAS Monitoring of KCGC/HQ Bluebird Trail April 11, 2011

  • From: "Teeps" <tandpteeps@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "NNASHotline" <nnasnet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2011 18:56:06 -0400

The increase in the bluebird population is a remarkable success story. It
is the direct result of widespread action by sympathetic bird lovers who
pledged their help and followed through.
- Arnette Heidcamp, Bluebirds in My House, 1997

Cool again on the bluebird trail, mainly because of the wind.  It warmed up
later to about 80 degrees.  That should get the BBs attention.  Actually,
production is picking up, even with the cool weather.  The box that had 4
eggs last week now has 5 eggs; and there are  5 more boxes with eggs now.

The Virginia Bluebird Society showed an interest in our report of last week
on the box of 5 eggs, and the fact that the first one(s) were laid in
March.  They have asked for a date for the first egg.  We will do that by
estimating the age of the young when we first discover them; count back 14
days for brooding, and count back 5 more days for the laying process.  Yes,
it is a lot of estimating, but we can be close enough for Northern Neck
work!

OK, here's how we stand this week:  4 boxes with partial nests, 14 boxes
with complete nests(no eggs), and 7 boxes with eggs; ranging from 2 to 5.
A pair of Tree Swallows has been seen at the martin gourds but no nest
activity, yet.  And I am thinking about putting up an additional box at my
house, since the original BB box has produced only titmouse young.  That
would make for 37 boxes on the trail.

Stay tuned for more news........Tom

Tom Teeples
28 Fox Tail South