[nnasnet] NNAS Monitoring of Bluebird Trail at KCGC/HQ -- June 3, 2013

  • From: Tom Teeples <tomteeples@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: NNAS Hotline <nnasnet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2013 13:12:08 -0400

KCGC is the King Carter Golf Course, located south ofKilmarnock just off
Irvington Road.  HQ is Hills Quarter, the community associated with the
golf course.  NNAS is the Northern Neck Audubon Society.

We reported the record number of fledges last week.  So we expected some
empty boxes this week.  But not as many empty as we found today; more than
20!  Here's what we think happened; the parents had such a hard time
finding bugs that they have taken a break and gone to Disneyworld with the
new chicks.  There are a few nests and partial nests started that look
encouraging.  The tree swallows have fledged.  The tree swallows had a
second brood one year in the past; but usually just one clutch per year.
 The 6 chickadee eggs reported last week are being incubated, female on the
nest.
One BB nest with 5 young had 4 fledges and one chick left dead in the nest.
 No idea what happened; no forensic services are available locally for BBs.
 Here is the tally for this week:

Partial nests: 2
Complete (new) nests: 6.
Eggs: 23 (in 6 boxes).