[nnasnet] NNAS Monitoring of Bluebird Trail at HQ/KCGC 8/4/2014

  • From: Tom Teeples <tomteeples@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: NNASHotline <nnasnet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2014 17:17:51 -0400

KCGC is the King Carter Golf Course, located south of Kilmarnock just off
Irvington Road.  HQ is Hills Quarter, the community associated with the
golf course.  NNAS is the Northern Neck Audubon Society.

WOOHOO!!!!!!  We hit 200 fledges this week, a new high for the KCGC BB
trail.  Two boxes fledged 4 birds each which puts us at exactly 200.  And
there are still 3 (or 4?) boxes active with eggs, plus one box with young
that will fledge this coming week.  The reason for the question mark on one
of the egg boxes is the appearance of inactivity; a box with 2 eggs that we
have left for one more week.  At one time, I raised mallard ducks.  At
times, the females produced more eggs than could be incubated in one nest.
 The excess eggs were placed in a 'dump' nest with no intention of ever
incubating them.  The hormones just kept on producing too many eggs.  Maybe
bluebirds have dump nests, also?

Eggs:  13 in 4 boxes.
Young:  One box of 4.
Fledged: 8.
Other:  2 tree swallow young fledged, with one still in the gourd.
Chickadees fledged for the season: 10
Tree swallows fledged 6.
Bluebirds fledged: 200!!!!!!!!!

--