[nnasnet] Re: Hummingbirds????

  • From: Beth Kendrick <bethannkendrick@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jericson7@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2015 18:27:03 -0400

I have a few hummers, not as many BB nests as usual. I also have a great
crested flycatcher nest and a thrasher is nesting in my native honeysuckle with
three eggs. Beth Kendrick
On Jun 3, 2015, at 12:12 PM, Felicity Rask <jericson7@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Hummers are in Gloucester but they were slow to get started. Am now having to
fill the feeder every other day.
I did see a Blackpoll warbler in a cedar tree a couple of weeks ago - very
exciting. Red-eyed Virio and Summer Tanagers are definitely here. Plenty of
Parulas. I think I heard an American Redstart but am not sure enough to
actually post it.
Felicity Rask

On Jun 3, 2015, at 11:46 AM, Jane <versocki23@xxxxxxx> wrote:

No hummers on Mosquito Creek for the last week either.
Also, no bluebirds in the gourds (2) that they have been using for the past
4 years.

Only return visitor has been the barn swallows who build their nest on our
front porch.

Strange year.

Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2015 22:37:59 -0400
From: dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: maggieurbanna@xxxxxxxxxxx; nnasnet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [nnasnet] Re: Hummingbirds????

We have not had any hummers for the past week - and not only have they
disappeared but our purple martins never returned this year to our house or
the martin houses on our neighbors' houses either. This is the first time in
over 13 years without them here and I miss their cheerful chatter and song.
Has anyone else experienced this absence as well? The house wrens are
driving away the bluebirds by building their stick nests in every house - I
clean them out daily but as I walk away they are refilling them. They even
built over a chickadee nest who took over a bb house causing the chickadee
to give up. The battle goes on. Pat in Montross