[nnasnet] Hughlett Point and environs birds from Sunday

  • From: Tom Saunders <birdnerd53@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nnasnet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 13:11:29 -0400

I had the pleasure of leading a "family" bird walk around Hughlett Point
NAP Sunday morning. Overnight rains left things a little damp but otherwise
the weather was excellent with no wind and we had a great morning. We ended
up with about forty species. Highlights were red-headed woodpecker, summer
tanager, marsh wren, brown-headed nuthatch and least tern. Several species
were still enough to let everyone in the group study them through the
scope. After Hughlett we made a brief visit to Crosshills where we added
hooded, black and white and worm-eating warblers to our list. We also heard
a mystery bird there that none of us could ID by ear and which we couldn't
see, though it was pretty close. Something to work on.

Later in the day Sylvia and I visited Dameron Marsh NAP. We had our first
blue grosbeak of the year to go with boat-tailed grackles, at least a dozen
eastern willets, some lesser yellowlegs and a single distant glossy ibis.

This morning, next to the Kilmarnock Post Office, I retrieved the remains
of a red morph eastern screech owl from the road, much the worse for wear.
Screech owls (and other species) are attracted to roads by the moths that
are drawn to street lights, to the reptiles that are attracted to warm
pavement, and to the mice/voles that are attracted to litter. Throwing an
apple core out the car window can lead to dead owls.

Tom Saunders
Balls Neck