[nnasnet] Heron Rookery in Richmond

  • From: Margaret Gerdts <maggieurbanna@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: NNAS Hotline <nnasnet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 14:51:18 -0400

On Thursday, I went to the heron rookery in Richmond.  (I went several times
last year....and it is fascinating!).I was there about 5:00 in the
afternoon...and the great blue herons were returning from "work"...their day of
fishing along the James.  There is a large number of nests....and you can see
the herons sitting on the nests and flying about!  The river was at a very high
level and it was gorgeous to see the power of the river!
The rookery is located on an island in the James River in downtown
Richmond....to get there, go east on Byrd Street.  When it ends at 12th Street,
bear right and you will come to a small parking area.  Go down river along the
flood wall.  There are steps and a ladder leading to the pipeline along the
river.  Walk up river about 100 yards along the pipeline and you will see the
island with a large number of nests in the trees.
Richmond Audubon Society also sponsors guided walks...check out their website
for dates.  richmondaudubon.org
Maggie GerdtsUrbanna