[nnasnet] Fw: Audubon Club Birdwalk on Sat., 3/22/14

  • From: "Vic Stover" <smok5y@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "nnasnet" <nnasnet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2014 20:05:49 -0400

EnjoyThe report!!!----- Original Message ----- Reta
From: Maryalyce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: Reta Stover
Sent: Monday, March 24, 2014 12:52 PM
Subject: Audubon Club Birdwalk on Sat., 3/22/14

Hi Reta,

     Here is the report from Saturday's Birdwalk, 3/22/14.  It was held in
Urbanna at Maggie Gerdts' home and surrounding area.  We had 23 members and
guests.  Frank Schaff let Maggie lead the way along the beautiful creeks.  We
had a total of 28 species on the walk and at the end I will mention a few more
that were seen on the way over to Urbanna too.

     The species seen were:  Blue Jay, Eastern Bluebird, Northern Cardinal,
Mallard, Tufted Titmouse, Carolina Chickadee, Greater Scaup, Osprey,
Bufflehead, Red-bellied Woodpecker, Turkey Vulture, Brown-headed Nuthatch,
Horned Grebe, American Crow, Ring-billed Gull, Common Loon, Red-winged
Blackbird, American Robin, Bald Eagle, Laughing Gull, Black Vulture, Fish Crow,
Ruddy Duck, Song Sparrow, Chipping Sparrow, Yellow-rumped Warbler, Dark-eyed
Junco, and a House Finch.

     I must add that once again I learned something from Frank Schaff and his
wife Linda helped too.  We spotted a pretty bird way up in a tree and it moved
around with beautiful golden or yellow tones where the red would be on what I
normally could identify as a House Finch.  Linda was sure it was a Finch based
on the bill size.  Well, Frank knew right away that what we were looking at was
a Yellow Variant Adult House Finch.  I hope I see more of these Finches again.

     Also, on the way driving over to Maggie's, Frank saw a Northern Gannet by
the bridge out of White Stone,  Lance and I spotted a Red-tailed Hawk not too
far over the bridge on a telephone wire and also saw a Northern Mockingbird,
and a European Starling.

     Also on the walk, a Beaver was seen across the creek from Maggie's back
yard.

     Twelve of us were able to go to lunch in Urbanna and Maggie made
reservations at a restaurant, that would normally be closed on our Monday
Birdwalk days, called "Something Different".  It was delightful and I got to
taste something new from Lance's plate called Hoecakes.  They are spicy cakes
shaped like pancakes made with cornmeal and Jalapeno Peppers.  Mike Andrews
said they are even hotter down in New Orleans.  So that was two new things I
learned about on this birdwalk and luncheon.  We had a great time!  Hope you
can make the next walk.

                                                                     Happy
birding,

                                                                     Maryalyce