[nnasnet] Re: Fewer birds at feeders?

  • From: Beth Kendrick <bethannkendrick@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2015 16:29:47 -0500

A service of the Northern Neck Audubon Society---
Me too…I put some hot pepper in my seed to deter the squirrels and was
wondering if that was my problem…but apparently not. ??? Beth
On Dec 22, 2015, at 6:46 AM, Jan Tyndall (Redacted sender "tyndalljanis" for
DMARC) <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

A service of the Northern Neck Audubon Society---
I am noticing the same thing here in Mathews. I filled two feeders a few
weeks ago and they haven't been touched! I have one in the front yard where
a few chickadees and titmice come, but only a very few.

Sent from my iPad

On Dec 21, 2015, at 10:27 PM, Nora Kroll <nkroll156@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

A service of the Northern Neck Audubon Society---
I live in the Middle Peninsula, in central King and Queen County, and there
are markedly fewer birds at the feeders. Mostly this is diminished numbers -
5 or 6 juncos instead of twenty, etc. Goldfinches are down to 2 or 3; last
year we had flocks of 30 or more. I have been supposing that birds don’t
need to eat as much in mild weather and so don’t come to feeders as much.
Any other theories? A number of people on Richmond Audubon’s list serve have
reported the same thing. Some speculated about the weather, one blamed
habitat destruction.
Nora Kroll
On Dec 21, 2015, at 9:49 AM, Bonita Wilson <bartikbk@xxxxxx> wrote:

A service of the Northern Neck Audubon Society---
To all:

A member of our Audubon chapter has noticed that she is not seeing as many
birds at her feeders as she usually does. It made me notice that the
population of birds at our feeder is also down from previous years. Are any
of you also experiencing that? If so, do you have any ideas of what may be
causing the decline?

Thanks!

Bonnie WilsonYou are subscribed to the NNASnet, a birding hotline
sponsored by the Northern Neck of Virginia Audubon Society.
with "leave" in the subject line (please omit quotation marks).
For other questions or comments about the listserver,
send messages to: nnasnet-admins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx