[nnasnet] FW: Huge flocks of blackbirds

  • From: Margaret Gerdts <maggieurbanna@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: NNAS Hotline <nnasnet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 15:18:38 -0500

Yesterday there was a HUGE flock of black birds that flew over my house.  It
was so overcast that I could not see to identify them with my binoculars.  When
I first heard them I thought it was a down pour....  There were many thousands!
 They landed in the trees in my yard, my neighbors' yards and in the trees
across the cove.  (And they made a mess of my car!)  The event lasted about 15
minutes...and they headed off....only to come back about a half hour later (or
maybe it was another huge flock!)  I have never seen so many birds at one time.
 Made me think of Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds!

Grackles?  starlings?  I could see no red in the wings.  Tom Saunders says I
just should say "unidentified black birds".
Maggie Gerdts