[nnasnet] Re: Curious

  • From: Nomini3@xxxxxxx
  • To: mfullerton1@xxxxxxxxxxx, nnasnet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 16:26:52 -0500 (EST)

We have noticed a decline in the number of waterfowl, but finally our
feeders are busy tho I don't seem to be filling them as often.....the Canadian
geese have finally shown up but not in the numbers in the past. Pat in
Montross.

In a message dated 1/12/2012 10:20:06 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
mfullerton1@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

This note is not about any spectacular sightings,  truly unusual visitors,
or long extinct dactyls. Quite the opposite. Our  neighborhood, in the far
North edge of Kilmarnock, has not seen birds at our  feeders since hurricane
Irene in August 2011. We see 3 or 4 Crows  occasionally, or a couple of
Turkey Buzzards looking for a meal, but no  Robbins, House Finches, Gold
Finches, White Throats, Chipping Sparrows,  Mourning Doves.Juncos, Woodpeckers,
or
any of the others which used to keep us  broke eating cakes of suet and bags
of seed per day. Has anyone else had a  similar experience or know why this
may have happened?

There has been one benefit from all of this.  Without the birds singing and
fluttering around the feeders, and showing the  squirrels where the food
is, the squirrels have also been absent even though  feeders have been full.
This has saved some  serious damage repair and general maintenance on the
feeders. I'll have to  admit that we are down to maintaining a single feeder in
face of this long  avian drought.

Mark and Connie  Fullerton