[nnasnet] Bird Question

  • From: Margaret Gerdts <maggieurbanna@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: NNAS Hotline <nnasnet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2012 19:52:51 -0400

This question came to me from aMaster Naturalist friend....I'll forward on any
of your answers to him.....Maggie

Nature

Maggie,
A female cardinal has been landing on a bare leafed redbud tree next to the
window of my garage.  She flies at the window for about 5 minutes, then
leaves.  The first time I saw it, I thought that she was protecting her
territory, but she keeps returning.  There is an over-wintering brugmansia
at that window inside the garage.  Is she looking to get to the green bush?
or is it a territorial thing.  I thought that only male birds scoped out
their territory and protected it but only after mating and starting a
family.  Que pasa?
TED
ps  If you see Lance, let him know that a brown-headed nut hatch is
pecking out a hole in the phone pole out front of our house.  He would get
a kick out of that.