[nnasnet] Bird Numbers

  • From: Melissa Gross <melissagross@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nnasnet <nnasnet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2015 08:42:14 -0500

Hi everyone - I just wanted to add 2 cents worth to the conversation on bird
numbers. I live on Nomini Creek in Mt. Holly where the Bushfield golf course
used to be. I have noticed normal numbers of the normal species in this area. I
still have yet to see the higher numbers of waterfowl (other than the Canada
geese and tundra swans), but, as we all know it's just too warm!
I see bluebirds, carolina wrens, junco's, house finches, cedar waxwings, great
blue herons, crows, bald eagles, chickadee's , titmice, various and sundry
sparrow species, red-bellied, pileated, downy (& a hairy!!) woodpeckers, a red
tail hawk in the area, another raptor resembling a Coopers or Sharpie from time
to time, starlings. Fewer Northern cardinals and blue jays. I had seen some
ruddy ducks in calmer coves a month ago. I think the yellow rumped warblers
have moved on...

Typically on our water we see the waterfowl later on in the season. So, I'm
waiting for them, because my waterfowl skills need some practice! Merry
Christmas everyone! Melissa Gross