[nnasnet] Beauty at Bell Isle

  • From: "Jessica and Paul Servis" <jpsps@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Hammer Carol" <caroljhammer@xxxxxxxxx>, <joandboys@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Beth Kendrick" <bakendrick1@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "NNAS" <nnasnet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <paula.boundy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <wvarnold@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 03 Jul 2013 13:17:47 -0400

The wild flowers and the butterflies were out in all their glory at Belle Isle
State Park this morning , as Carol Hammer and I made our rounds on the Bluebird
Trail.  The flowers alone make it well worth the trip.  Butterflies are an
added bonus !

This week we had 12 active bird boxes - 11 bluebird and 1 wren. We counted 8
bluebird eggs, 5 wren eggs,23 bluebird chicks and 9 fledged bluebird chicks.
One box had 4 dead new born bluebirds and one box had an inactive nest for the
third week so it was removed.  Our guess is a predator picked off the parent
birds. There was a small black snake on the ground by box # 2 but he seemed to
be to small to defeat the baffle.

Carol Hammer &  P. Servis

      Eastern Tiger Swallowtails

JPEG image